Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Why parents need to work hard for their kids.


Because the appreciative ones know it's not about the money.

And so last night, after a somewhat heated argument with my own parent about finances and "effective economics", I talked with my daughter... the only other person who gives me perspective about how it is to be a parent.

Me: Psyche? Would you still love me and Papa if we didn't have money?
Psyche: Hmm, I'll still love you even if you don't have money.
Me: *muffled sobs* Awww... I love you so much, thank you.

*hugs*

Psyche: But I can love you if you have money.

..............

And that, my friends, is what gets me up and out of bed every morning, despite the hangover, despite the headache from the incessant snoozing, despite the rain and the occasional monotony of work, and the thought of working for peanuts. Because even if she could love me without money, I don't see why she should have to. And if there's one thing I can give my children... one precious thing (next to a good education - inside as well as outside of the classroom), it would be peace of mind and a sense of subdued elegance. That they will never have to worry about money, that they will never feel burdened by it, or the lack of it... because I'm going to teach them the true value of it as well as the difference between "practical consumerism" and "frantic frugalism."

I'll worry about the rest, as most typical, overbearing worry-wart Virgos have a natural tendency to do.

4 comments:

  1. Tell me about it. Everything is so frikkin' expensive nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well... not everything. =) Just my bar tab, hahahaha. Ok and my association dues and water bill. It's a skill to not be so "maluho." sometimes i get overwhelmed that pao and I will have to pay for a wedding, a baby, psyche's education, our home... and all these other big grown up things. I wonder if there's even enough money in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha Psyche is so cute!!! Better get out them scissors and coupons love. :)

    On a related note, my dream of dreams (to be a Hollywood on-the-go family) right here in these 11 photos: http://www.people.com/people/celebritybabies/gallery/0,,20517882,00.html#21000512

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha gusto ko syempre si Mariska Hargitay, packin' heat lang eh, hahahaha! and Gwen stefani man. And angelina. God it's not like you can walk around QC looking like that good.

    ReplyDelete