Sunday, August 7, 2011

Day 21 - A picture of something you wish you could forget

There aren't a lot of things I would actually want to forget or I haven't learned to forget already. The bad things... the things that used to be so frighteningly vivid become these distant outside pictures in my head, like things you'd seen in a movie, completely detached from you in way and connected only by the sort of empathy you might have felt for the character that WAS you only you're not that person anymore.

Did that make sense?

I guess if there's one thing I'd like to forget (and it's not the person in the picture above), it would be how fast a life can easily be taken away from you. And people don't fully fathom the repercussions that are left behind when someone passes. The hurt that's left, the creeping emptiness... its inevitability.

These were the lovely bones that had grown around my absence. The connections, sometimes tenuous, sometimes made at great cost, but often magnificent, that happened after I was gone. And I began to see things in a way that let me hold the world without me in it.

(We miss you, Mark.)

No comments:

Post a Comment