Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Does the Old Testament justify murder?

You know when people put Bible passages, chapters and verses as their status messages and descriptions and stuff, it's almost always one of those inspirational, "pull-you-from-the-gutter pick-me-upper" type quotes that leave you feeling all divine and relieved and comforted and what not.

But if you can believe in that... can you believe in this, too?

'If your brother, the son of your father or of your mother, or your son or daughter, or the spouse whom you embrace, or your most intimate friend, tries to secretly seduce you, saying 'Let us go and serve other gods' unknown to you or your ancestors before you, gods of the peoples surrounding you, whether near you or far away, anywhere throughout the world, you must not consent, you must not listen to him; you must show him no pity, you must not spare him or conceal his guilt. No, you must kill him, your hand must strike the first blow in putting him to death and the hands of all the rest of the people following. You must stone him to death, since he has tried to divert you from Yahweh your God.' - Deuteronomy 13:7-11

Isn't that a little over the top?

.....

I once read the story "Aaron the Priest" to my kindergarten students... about how his sons got drunk at the church and were killed for I forget what. I'm still pretty disturbed at having read that to them. I don't think I've ever had a bigger moral dilemma than that.

Now is it blasphemous that I teach Psyche to dream of Cupid and to believe in Love? I mean, I encourage her to pray to God and all --- you know the One. The God that created the molecules that formed the stars and Big Bangs and universes and evolved into all sorts of matter. The same God who gave us the ability to think rationally as well as the potential to discover the intricate mysteries of nature.

That God. =)

Hay, I gotta stop watching Richard Dawkins before my loved ones stone me.

No comments:

Post a Comment