Wednesday, February 9, 2011

THE READER

"Sing to me of the man, Muse, the man of twists and turns driven time and again off course..."
-- Homer, The Odyssey



This is a beautiful movie.

Kate Winslet deserved her Academy Award for this role.

....

"I'm not frightened. I'm not frightened of anything. The more I suffer, the more I love. Danger will only increase my love. It will sharpen it, forgive its vice. I will be the only angel you need. You will leave life even more beautiful than you entered it. Heaven will take you back and look at you and say: Only one thing can make a soul complete and that thing is love."

And for all of the technology... for all of life's extra convenience and efficiency... there is nothing (and I mean absolutely nothing) more romantic than reading... and being read to. Accompanied by the harmony of turned pages flapping, the licking of fingers, the deep breaths in between commas and periods and punctuation marks, a book closed, hands together in a prayer of gratitude. And no greater achievement than by learning through loving... as a man reads, so she writes... as his voice guides her hand.

It's almost divine.

2 comments: