Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Facebook really is the devil.

As time went by, and the fake profile came up next to the real one every time I Googled it, a slow rage burned in my heart.

Who were these people at Facebook? I visualized them throwing darts and eating pizza behind impenetrable walls. The difference between the fake profile and mine was clear. Mine has quotes from Goethe and ee cummings. The fake profile was slimy and disgusting. All someone had to do was pay attention. Press one small button in an office cubicle someplace in Palo Alto. Click. And the fake profile would be gone.

http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/02/01/my_fake_facebook_profile

.....

Once, a stupid ex (in all of his blind rage) hacked into my Friendster account and put up nude photos of me. I had to implore him to give me the password so I could take it down, saying if he had any decency for my family who took him in, he would give it to me. Funny too, it was my younger sister's then-boyfriend who saw it. Good thing they were only up for a day or two... but I did get some replies from my male contacts (fortunately, they were more kind than sleazy). Still, it was humiliating.

Hay.

This internet thing... it's eating me alive.

And you know what I just realized? I think people have become less superstitious with the bombardment of all this information, useless or otherwise, so readily available to them. More knowledgeable, more disenchanted.

People used to just believe in things, you know? In people. Now, you can do background checks on everybody, cross-referencing that sh*t like they do on Criminal Minds. And why??? Because you CAN. And not everything you find out will make you happy. Hell, you don't even need 90% of what you find out. But you do it anyway.

Where the Hell is the goddamn library in this country??? People should go to libraries and read Walt Whitman.

I need to read. On paper.

I need to start using my moleskine notebooks. They're collecting dust.

And I need a black pilot pen.

5 comments:

  1. Sa true! I try to avoid my Facebook (save for the games haha). It becomes an emotional vampire after a while; the internet, not just Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my bosses say i have to have a facebook so i can link my articles on there (from our website).

    Uh, how about... no. I'll just tell other people to link it for me. =)

    and i need a twitter daw para sa lahat ng mga event na pinupuntahan ko.

    uhm... i wouldn't want that either. esp. if my account has to be open. it's like telling everyone where they can find me... and honestly, i don't wanna be found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eeeek! Twitter, IMO, is a shitload more evil than Facebook. Antatapang ng mga tao hahahaha! Plus, they are waaaay more chismoso there o_O

    ReplyDelete
  4. we're watching the MATRIX trilogy again. it was only the other day that i got why neo and them had those holes on their bodies.

    i don't know the connection of that.

    hahahaha and apparently we're supposed to LIKE our online posts (for traffic, i dunno)... so i asked Pao and Roni to ALWAYS like my posts once they're linked on FB (interesting naman sila kahit papaano =)... Roni was like, "Did you actually ask me to like your posts? Mag-FB ka na kasi."

    Bakit pa? Gulo lang yan. I have all these other work accounts, i'm seriously having a hard time keeping up with all my usernames and passwords.

    and... saya kaya ng viewing history nito. may isa nga, buma-blast from the past eh, rereading my PM to her from 2008. uhh hello, 2000-late na sya. I don't see why she has to torture herself. (PM ko say kung sino, hahaha)

    ReplyDelete