Thursday, January 13, 2011

Love's Socratic Dialogues

Because my partner allows me to bombard him with emails of my super random epiphanies... and listens patiently, lovingly, thoughtfully at my rhetorical rhapsodies.

Like this one.

......


A Danish proverb "Better to ask twice than lose your way once."


It's funny how very little we really know about a marriage save for what people describe it as.

I like to think about these things because they fascinate me (and not because I'm questioning my wanting to get married to you.) I just thought about it, you know? Like instead of asking someone, "Will you marry me?"... they should ask a less ambiguous question (I mean, what does it mean to "marry" right? Seriously. Who is our gauge? Our parents? A dictionary? What do people do when they "marry"?) Because like what this Edward Hodnett said, "If you do not ask the right questions, you do not get the right answers. A question asked in the right way often points to its own answer. Asking questions is the A-B-C of diagnosis. Only the inquiring mind solves problems.”

I made up my own question based on how I am towards you and I came up with this:

"Do you think you could get past yourself, your own worst enemy and unforgiving critic, and consider spending a lifetime having just me accompanying you through all of this... whatever 'this' may be or may cause? If so, would you like to?"

Surely there are more intelligent people who could come up with a better example to what I'm trying to say here. But I just thought -- now bear with me -- if someone had asked me this question, not only would I need to take a look within myself as I am described so uninhibitedly, I would also not need to feel bad if the answer were no... because then it wouldn't be immediately seen as a "no to marrying this person" or a "no i don't love you enough to marry you"... it could be a "no because I can't get past myself or I haven't been able to do so yet."

And I think asking someone if they would "like" to do something is a bit more delightful sounding than asking them if they "will" do something... you know what i mean? It's like... you still somehow ask for their opinion, rather than just... an answer. Because then it would matter to you because you had wanted to know if this was something they "liked" or something that made them happy.


Am I making sense?


.....


May you find a true friend in your better half.

No comments:

Post a Comment