Monday, December 5, 2011

Why I love... my 9 to 5.

I just came from a meeting today. Like just now. Preparing articles to usher the 2012 issues in. And I realized, just now, that sometimes work can get a little hard. A little boring. A little too tedious. Seems like I’ve been doing this shit for way too long (5years)  and yet… I can never seem to remember what I did or wrote about the month before.  And people can be so annoying. Their laziness. Incompetence. Or whatever other inadequacy you notice and rant the shit out of. Good thing these media events serve alcohol so I can knock back my woes and sorrows... then try to stay sober enough to write about it the next day.

And then everything becomes a problem. Like this annoying little roadblock where you either wanna turn back and take another route or run right thru it without a thought of the damage it’ll cause.

But I also realized, just now, that I guess… those things shouldn’t make you forget HOW FUCKING AWESOME YOU REALLY ARE. Seriously. Like, if you’re good at what you do, don’t let that shit get to you. Don’t let it keep you from playing your A-game. DON’T USE OTHER PEOPLE’S SHORTCOMINGS AS AN EXCUSE TO FAIL. (My daddy taught me that. And that’s probably one of the best pieces of advice he’s ever given my sisters and I growing up --- next to the one about not having to “clean blood splattered on the wall” but I’ll save that piece of wisdom for another time.)

Now I’m not mad or anything. It just sorta dawned on me you know? Being around someone who’s been annoying me lately and having to work with this person and act all civil and what not ---- and I fucking realize how good I am at what I do and how it just comes off so naturally aaaaaand on top of that "down to business type seriousness" I'm also pretty good at making myself and other people laugh. Turning annoyance into one big joke. Or better yet, turning problems into opportunities… to be better. To showcase my skills. To express my ideas, defend them wholly and unabashedly. And to get up out that meeting knowing full well, “YOU RUN THIS SHOW, BITCH.” Now stop whining.


                                      Me and my 2 art directors... and Captain Morgan.

No comments:

Post a Comment