Sunday, November 21, 2010

Double. Down.

Pao and I finally got a whiff of the mythical KFC Double Down last Saturday.

It was probably one of the most stressful orders of my life.

.....

See, we drove to SM Fairview to meet the fam after which Pao and I left them (and Psyche) to make a dash to KFC. Of course, it was a weekend and lunch time so we knew our chances would be slim. I began to run up the escalator, leaving Pao slightly behind, took a quick glance at the overhead menu to see if there was a "sold out" sign across the picture of the double down (saw that there wasn't), and instinctively slid my way into the shortest-looking line.

I was the third person from the cashier... and just behind him, I saw about 4 of those red paper boxes that held those f*cking burgers. (My colleague has been bringing it in to work whenever he drops by his local KFC in Makati so I knew the packaging.) I was frikkin' itching in line. Then I saw there were only two and they weren't replenishing that sh*t so I began to panic. The lady in front of me was next and she ordered a fully-loaded meal to go and you'd think you were lucky enough to be behind someone with just ONE order but nooooooooooo....

We actually got the slowest KFC employee on earth.

(Ok maybe it was also because the other cashiers had a buddy who pre-prepared the orders while the cashier took them.)

But still.

I kept eyeing the two boxes just sitting there amidst the one-piece chickens and the mashed potatoes. There was even a point when one KFC employee took the two boxes and I turned to Pao and said, "Tangina wala na, nakuha na." and I swear, I was so ready to give up any poise and reservation to scream at the cashier "You are fucking slow!"... only for her to put them back.

It was as if some higher being was toying with my very fragile emotions.

And all the while, homeboy was taking his sweet ol' time fixing that fully-loaded up in a box.  Pao could sense my impatience so we began to call out to the manager who was supervising... a gay guy who looked and talked like he was managing a parlor rather than a fast-food joint (it was hilarious), and finally...

He took our orders... and gave us the very two boxes I'd been staring down like a Jedi for the past 15minutes I waited in line.

....

Then we ate it and it really wasn't all that awesome (it WAS good but then again, Colonel Sanders' original recipe ANYTHING is good). Stupid hype. I shoulda just bought two original recipe breasts, taken em home, cooked some bacon, lathered it up with my own mozzarella cheese instead of the cheez whiz they use and eaten it with a cup of brown rice.

But the thrill of the chase was fun. =)

.....

So for those who still haven't tried the double down... I highly recommend you go out and SEARCH for it. Take a break from the mundane. =)

13 comments:

  1. KFC Double Down... Heaven :) I ate two yesterday :) LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robinson's Mega East, and I just got lucky, the last two ;p

    ReplyDelete
  3. you got the slowest KFC employee too? =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I could feel your rage at every word. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. it feels good to get the last ones, right? hahaha! maybe when i go to makati later, i'll try to see if i can bring some home. =P

    ReplyDelete
  6. know what, mich? imma take you up on that home-made double down hahahaha! it sounds easier to do :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. hahaha I agree, atleast I was rewarded by driving all the way to the mall just to get it. Save the best for last. :) I give props to the BDG of KFC for coming up with this kind of product :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, pao and i were actually planning to order "two double down burgers, hold the bacon and the cheese please." =P

    my version would taste way better, too. =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. (Pssst Waffle? Tell nina good job. hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha as a marketing guy I know how to appreciate such good job :) (I'm eating one right now hehehe)

    ReplyDelete