Thursday, July 1, 2010

Because there are just some things that are better than sex.

I ate an entire better than sex cake once with my friend.
We didn't really plan it. We just decided to buy one to eat.
We didn't say much either. We just took one bite after another.
Two Virgos (I was only a day older) eating our heartaches away with every forkful of chocolate.
We sat on the floor of my room --- the 6x8 foot box I once called home.
And we ate without a care, because the taste in our mouth wanted something other than alcohol.
And I guess...
I just miss having that.
A better than sex cake with a friend (a good-looking guy friend, in truth) who knew me. Who really really knew me.
And who knew well enough that eating cake and saying nothing was the best thing a friend could do for you.
When all the world's bitterness has left a big ol' lump in your throat...
To have your cake... and eat it, too.

4 comments:

  1. I totally hear you on this. Mine was in the middle of a monsoon, a good looking guy friend who really really knew me too. It was a strange feast, one of weed and hopia and Mojo potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. (ok wait, did you just say "weed"?)

    but hopia and mojos? really? =) funny how it's oftentimes those seemingly trivial moments that reverberate. i think he and i (as he, too, at the time was in dating limbo) felt that there were just some things that were actually "better than sex"

    that cake and his company was one of them. =)

    we need "better than sex" type friends. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The almost soulmates, the once in another life lovers.

    Yes, weed, hopia and mojos. Starch and greens! My dual vices of eating and stealing music off the internet came full circle during this period. I guess that kind of happens when there's a hurricane outside and you're heartbroken. I must've downloaded hundreds of sad songs haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hahahaha oh man... that must've been like a real emo moment for you.

    ahh... there's always that huh? the "if the circumstances were different" type loves... *sigh*

    ReplyDelete