Thursday, April 14, 2011

WHY NOT HAVING A FACEBOOK SUCKS.

Just got back from a presscon with "noted fashion photographer" Nigel Barker and "runway coach diva extraordinaire" Miss J. Alexander (I can hear Tyra's voice ringing in my ears) and I was talking with our art director... nay, SENIOR ART DIRECTOR, Ben about what we'd ask them, if ever... and he said I should ask them if they had a friendster and that just opened up our whole discussion (ok more like another epiphany) about why it sucks to NOT have a facebook. I said it was too late for me, I guess, and that maybe I'll just join the next big thing on the internet once facebook is phased out but for now, it just sucks when:

a.) a lot of contests and promos require you to log on to facebook, LIKE their facebook page, and submit entries there. I mean, like... what the fuck right? only people with facebooks can join basically? that's so unfair. whatever happened to email?

b.) apparently, "googling" someone now is obsolete ---- so if you wanna look for somebody, you gotta "facebook" them or check them on twitter or something (which actually proved pretty effective cuz last week, I emailed TJ Manotoc some questions cuz he said it was cool and then he never got back to me so I tried calling him, and his phone wasn't ringing and I'm thinking, what the fuck right? did he fall off the face of the earth? so i had our assistant "facebook" / twitter his ass and that's when we found out he'd tweeted about how his sim card was all busted. but i mean, he doesn't need a sim to check his email. I don't get it.

c.) can somebody tell me what the difference between a "friend" and a "facebook friend" is cuz I heard it again during the press conference and this girl was saying something about how this guy was her "facebook friend" and I'm thinking, WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN??? so maybe I guess I could count that as something that would suck ---- the fact that I don't have these special "facebook friends" ---- if only i knew exactly what made them so different that they had to be called a facebook friend rather than just a friend. Is it like... an online friend? Like a more sophisticated way to label a chat buddy. Like on IRC back in the day? Hahahahaha, IRC. =P

d.) there's only so much I can do on the internet sometimes and seeing my colleagues so caught up in their facebooks or my friends so engrossed in their blackberrys makes me feel so left out... that's why I just stick to watching CSI, Law & Order, and Bones reruns all by my lonesome.

e.) i'm so clever and no one knows it and that's why my little sister asks me for clever status messages or quotes me on the dumb shit i say. but she's kind enough to let me live vicariously through her facebook. (thanks roni!)

f.) people post party invites on facebook. does that make me a gate crasher for not RSVP-ing on facebook?

and the worst part about NOT having a facebook...

g.) since I don't have a facebook, i can't link any of my online posts (from the website) to our Gadgets facebook page so I usually just ask a colleague to do it for me... but when they're ALL GONE, there's no way for me to do it. Though I mean, I made my own husband an administrator... but I guess you can say it's such a hassle on other people.

OH. WELL.

Guess I should've just moved to tumblr.

Then again, I don't like how anyone can just leave anonymous comments on your posts and I'm sensitive like that (God that poor girl, Tricia Gosiengtian character... must've been hurtful to have so many people to berate her like that.) So yeah. Guess I'm staying here.

Maybe one day, I'll figure out how to shop online and really utilize the shit out of this multiply. =)

14 comments:

  1. i will create a social network site just for you! i'll make sure you'll be the very first person to sign in! how"s that? haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Dude there's this social networking site in the States called Ashley Madison and their tagline goes "LIFE IS SHORT. HAVE AN AFFAIR." HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

    just saying. =P

    Or you can name it after me. =P Foxy Michelle. HAHAHAHAHA! that's so dumb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. or Pesbuk.com with the tagline "dito tayo magsosyalan at maglandian" tang ina lang.

    ReplyDelete
  4. BWAHAHAHAAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! hahahahahaha! pwede isama yung "tang ina lang" sa tagline! hahahahahahaha!!

    grabe natawa ako dun ah! i'd like to get on that site! hahahaha! at least, it's not pretentious. =P

    ReplyDelete
  5. mag Facebook ka na kasi tutal it's no longer a fad, it has become a necessity, actually worse..household tool na pala siya;) kinasal ka na ba? I just got back fr the states

    if you were on FB you would know that..see its also a friend tracker;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. CHE!!! yes, i got married last March 9 (but my church wedding is still next year =)

    yes, i suppose facebook is a necessity... and if one were to be totally disciplined when using it (Ie. only adding people you know, fighting the urge to stalk, etc.), then it'd be totally awesome.

    but i'm human, man. hahahaha! so i gotta "stay away from the dessert cart if i wanna lose weight," in a manner of speaking.

    besides, there are people i don't mind not getting reacquainted with. but not you. you're awesome. and i think it's awesome you got on multiply just to update me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! :)

    I am guilty of having too many friends on Facebook... sorting through my Friend Requests is not a favorite activity, so sometimes I just have a go at it and start randomly click click clacking yes to about 10 of them;then eventually Hide or Unfriend along the way..hehehehe

    If you want to stalk someone, or have a peek..let me know and ill gladly do it for you:) hahahaha but I have a feeling you already have access whenever there is a need;)

    you are right about not wanting to get reacquainted, some people i DON'T add precisely because I know them.:)

    anyway, Multiply is still ok.and you're here, so its worth visiting:)have fun and be well:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahahaha oh god the thought of having to ADD the people i DID know... hahahaha! I don't think i'd want my history splattered all over my facebook wall and relive the horror. (i'd have to block my husband, hahahaha)

    wait, do you still have the same number? cuz i do. text me. let's go out. seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That whole thing with Tricia was so silly. Pinoys are defensive as HELL. I bet if someone from Botswana said they didn't really like adobo, it'd cause a stir here with people ranting "How dare that person insult the cuisine of our islands! Doesn't he know that we have world class chefs in our country and around the world? Is he saying we Filipinos have a bad palate?!" Or if someone from Corfu said "Oh I went to Boracay and it was just okay," there'd be twitter war with Pinoys roaring "How dare he insult our fine islands and our fine people? We have 7,107 islands that are visited by celebrities!" (Of course they'd have to protest in 140 characters or less.) Or if some tourist put on her Facebook that she saw a cockroach and a line of ants in the gutter, some Pinoy would demand Facebook to close her site down. Like, Jesus.

    Tricia was just telling the truth, or what was the truth to her anyway. If the Philippines really was fashion forward, then her site wouldn't really mean anything. It'd just be a blog of some girl posting clothes she just bought or borrowed. Natawa naman ako dun sa mga "industry people" na nag enumerate pa ng mga Filipino designers that are fashion forward... oh and so? Great for them! How about the other 80 MILLION Pinoys who don't really care to know what the latest trend in nail polish or eyeshadow shade is? And they had to bully her on... Twitter for goodness' sake. First of all folks, it's just the Internet okay. And second, kung mambu-bully lang din naman kayo, ayusin nyo naman yung ingles nyo.

    There is much loveliness in going to Multiply and reading blog entries as opposed to (not-so-witty) one liners and precious moments of one's life in 140 characters. That anticipation one gets going through the first paragraph, then the second, then the third. Alam pa kaya nga mga kabataan ngayon kung ano ang paragraph? Hahaha. I love words and stories and patterns and cadence and conversation, especially when you read someone so often that you start to recognize their style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could actually hear you saying this. hahahahaha!

    ako naman... di ko na-gets kung ba't pa sya pinatulan, i mean... she wanted to come off a ditz... not like her opinion should've mattered, but they made it matter and i think it's funny cuz she's an endorser for forever 21 for goodness sake, not louis vuitton or dkny and that time donna karan and tommy hilfiger didn't want other nationalities to wear their clothes, that was messed up. good thing they didn't have twitter back then.

    oh and regarding your last "paragraph" (hahaha, i know what a paragraph is --- and you forgot to indent hahaha), i just finished THE STREET LAWYER by John Grisham - took it with me to the beach and devoured it in three days. While i was reading on the beach these girls were talking about how they didn't like books and shit (something about them taking up too much space?)... and within crazy earshot too, then some girl said "they say some people still like the feel of turning pages" while the other girl replied, "that's bullshit" and i wanted to throw my book at her then grab her e-book and throw it in the water.

    =) let's take more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pagnaluhaan mo yung e-book baka mag spark. Nagdala pa talaga ng water sensitive electronics sa dagat. Hahaha. I just started reading The Phantom of the Opera on my iPod, because it's there and because it came with the Classic Novels App, and because it's not at National, and it kept bothering me that I didn't know how thick the book was. Haha. Do you now they did a pilot of The Street Lawyer a few years back, with Eddie Cibrian (who is now married to Le-Ann Rimes) playing Michael, but the season was never picked up. I used to imagine the story working really well for a Pinoy soap adaptation - the homeless triumph in the end. I even went as far as imagining who would play who.

    On a semi-related note, you are going to love The Killing. Torrent it woman. It's everything we love - Law & Order, SVU and CSI, except they work on one story per season. It's beautiful and tragic and exciting, one paragraph after another.

    At oo nga naman, Forever 21 and H&M, glorious to the core but not exactly the most timeless, authoritative thing you can have in your closet.

    Oooh remember those Natalie Portman pegs I sent you (of her just waking up, still in last night's clothes at her NY apartment balcony)? Let's do those. And those bedroom one-flash night shots like of your friend and her ex. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually found the book with my yaya (apparently, my sister paula thought i didn't want the box of books she gave me ---cuz i just stored them--- so she thought she could give em away... like shop girl and sophia's wedding and the street lawyer). naturally, i got upset and took the books back (but i said my yaya could borrow them if she wanted to =). but they were mine. no taking em back. =)

    gusto ko sanang gawing movie yung street lawyer (i loved all of john grisham's other books-turned-films), tapos si johnny depp si michael brock. HAHAHAHA! sya talaga. forever and ever. (right after i finished the book yesterday, pao took it from me and he's on it now. and he's decided to ignore me and leave me to watch Law and order alone. =)

    ***will take note of the killing. =)

    i really like angelina's style ---if there was one style i could pull-off and/or afford. The style that says "i don't care if i'm in jeans and a tanktop and no makeup, i'm carrying five kids without breaking a sweat but come oscars you know i'ma kill it without even trying" type fashion statement.

    speaking of fashion statements: WHAT IS UP WITH GIRLS WEARING FULL-ON MAKEUP AT THE BEACH?????

    grabe, i looked so sticky while i was at the beach ---- while all the other girls had on this orange lipstick and (i swear) salon-curly hair and foundation. and NO tan. what the hell. pao said it was because of all the cameras and online sites --- you can't be caught dead looking whack lest you get tagged.

    that sucks.

    (btw, those shots... will be for sarisarisounds? HAHAHAHAHA! yeah me and roni can do lesbo-incest quite naturally =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ano ba yan.

    Meanwhile, the answer to our prayers: I'mma be first in line on this thing, that is if you don't beat me to it: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/28/google-me-googles-faceboo_n_626968.html

    Google Me is not a rumor. It is real! And they say they're launching it this September...

    We can do the shawarma shoot for Sari Sari. For this other shoot, I really want to do something Rogue-ish for you girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i just bought three boxes of nestle fitnesse (saved me 99bucks! =). bring it on. then maybe i won't feel so bad when i don't have makeup on the beach.

    it must be hard to have to try so hard, noh?

    ....

    GOOGLE ME!!! Hahahahaha! it sounds so self-centered and vain! i like it! see you there! hahahaha!

    (oh wait i just found an awesome post --- thanks to you! =)

    ReplyDelete