Friday, April 1, 2011

HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY


My daughter takes an exasperatingly long time to chew and swallow her food. It is f*cking nuts.

In fact, it's so annoying, I can almost feel a bitch-slap coming on whenever she's starting to sigh and I've been sitting with her for almost an hour and her mouth is not moving and you start to lose your voice and your mind from all the bargaining that I would let her have the videogame once she's done and the futile threatening of kicking her out of the house to get a job if she doesn't want to eat the food we provide her. You seriously start coming up with the dumbest sh*t to say when you're faced with that kind of moral dilemma. Now you might think me a bad mother for admitting that but I am just being unabashedly honest about it. (Though no, I've never done anything of the sort save for the occasional disciplinary slaps on her hand and yes, I still sit with her anyway sometimes even on the floor looking like a crazy person imploring madly to a 3-year old.)

But yeah.

Parenthood is HARD. It is FUCKING HARD. No thankfully, not ALL the time. But it is hard. I mean, it's not like there was an elective on parenting you could take up in college... though I swear, now that I think about it, they should've included it when I was studying Sociology of the Family.

I digress.

And I'm dealing. My husband is dealing. I mean... she's our first. And I guess that's why first children have it the hardest... because they get stuck with the newbies. The overzealous. The young-uns. The gropers-slash-play it by ear-ers. First children get the part in the parents lives where the parents make all the mistakes first before they can learn from them and apply them onto the second, third, fourth...

But then that's what makes these kids so special too. Because when they achieve something, they're the first. And the first time parents see it, it's absolutely fucking awesome.

So last night, Pao and I took Psyche to the STOKED Inc. 10-year anniversary party to watch Pao and the rest of his bandmates perform. She partied and danced and stayed up with us til we got home, me drunk and Pao hungry. By that time, I had gone on autopilot ---- got Psyche to her room, changed her clothes (I threw a spaghetti strap house shirt on her and didn't even bother to include any pants), and put her to bed in just a shirt and her underwear... after which, I ate and then passed out in a matter of seconds.

This morning I woke up and noticed that the light in Psyche's room was on (we leave the doors open since her room is just 5ft. away from our bedroom and she likes to sleep alone). Now I don't encourage anyone at our house leaving the light on when any of us are going to bed, so I got up to check on Psyche only to find her a.) sleeping with the bright ass light on (the same light I always keep off) b.) sleeping opposite the side I placed her (head where feet was, feet where head was) and c.) sleeping with a completely new set of house clothes (her spaghetti strap dress and new panties).

At first I thought Pao had changed her after I fell asleep.
Then I figured Psyche had peed on her bed (but she hadn't).
Then I figured she had climbed on top of one of her toy boxes and switched the light on herself because she was scared.
Then I began to look for her old clothes and couldn't find them... at first.
Then as I stroked her head, I felt one side of her head was sticky.

I couldn't make out how all of this happened so I woke Pao up and asked if he had changed her.

He said no.

He then found her clothes in the hamper. They were wet.

We checked her bed. The side where her head was supposed to be was a bit damp but didn't smell of pee.

We then began to wake her up to ask her if she had peed on the bed. She shook her sleepy head. We didn't believe her at first.

Then with her eyes still closed, she mumbled:

"I made suka."


...........................

And that's when we pieced it together:

She had thrown up on her herself in the middle of the night, probably from too much partying. Got up (in the dark). Climbed the box. Turned on the light. Took off her clothes. Walked outside to the mezzanine connecting our rooms. Threw her clothes in the hamper. Went back to her room. Opened the TOP drawer of her orocan shelf of clothes. Took out a dress and a panty. Dressed herself. And slept on the foot of her bed.

When I asked her why she didn't just wake us up, she replied, "I wanted to get the alcohol because beebeela is dirty."

She thought her teddy bear had gotten vomit on it.

I was absolutely humbled and proud of her at the same time. What an amazing, amazing child, I thought. Though Pao was kinda trying to demystify my life-altering moment by saying this probably isn't the first time she's done this before. But how the hell would I know that, right, it has been a while since Psyche was without a yaya and in our sole care... and sometimes I do feel guilty that the circumstances are the way they are... and I find I'm not as good and as patient as I should be. As I'm expected to be. As I expected myself to be.

I'm afraid to fuck up so I pretend not to care. But I do. So much.

But I guess...

The joke's on me.

Because today I got a first taste of Psyche's true independence. And I am so proud... in some sick, twisted, indirectly direct way (I mean, my parenting isn't exactly your orthodox model parenting but whatevs right), I contributed and cultivated that kind of independence in her --- the same independence I cultivated within myself and was always so proud of having achieved at such a young age.

I'm not fucking up after all. *pats back* And I have an awesome partner to prove that. Because knowing my smart and successful and super all around good guy husband, if he thought I was such a fuck-up or that I wouldn't be able to contribute anything more to this world than just mere physical existence, I don't think he'd have wanted to marry me. I'm lucky he saw my potential... to become a BIG O. But that's for another lovey-dovey time.

..................


Of course Psyche just had to be difficult come lunch and I realize how happy I am to be going to work and leaving her at my mother-in-law's house.

Aaaaaah.... the joys and woes of being a parent.


HAPPY APRIL FOOLS DAY!

10 comments:

  1. You're definitely not F*cking up love. You can ride with the best of them...

    But I do totally agree with the whole eating thing. Evan is super hard to feed, and when he finally eats, he just sucks the juice out of the meat until its completely white. Why the hell isn't he chewing? I am busy scarfing down my food and this fool is fixated on yo gabba gabba on tv. sheesh...

    I hope Evan will want to sleep in his bed.. someday. Fool takes over our king size bed. Im tired of getting kicked in the face. He got accepted to preschool this year :) I hope that teaches him to be more independent. Don't worry about being patient.. We're mothers, but we're only human. Today I totally flipped out on evan in the car. Its been a while since I've done that, but I swear that he makes me want to take some prozac sometimes lol. He vomited all over himself after I took him out for icecream because his dad came and picked up bella to take her home. I forgot to pack her bottle and he was mad that "daddy was leaving" so he kept screaming daddy in the parking lot as we made our way to his gymboree playgroup. When we arrived he had been crying so much he vomited chocolate ice cream all over me and himself. Driving home in the summer heat with chocolate puke set me off :/ so I spanked his buttt and yelled at him mercilessly on the drive home. I put him on time out and afterwards I felt pretty bad about loosing my temper.

    It happens to the best of us :) and I admire how much psyche is so independent, self confident, and free spirited. It shows that she's not afraid to express herself because her parents are raising her in a loving atmosphere. Im sure she knows that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S the first have it the best.. They have your complete and utter attention and they don't have to compete for it. Bella will always have to share and there was a time when Evan had us to his every whim and disposal. Solo trips to disneyland, vacations, and even running errands.

    Its a bond that you're second, third, etc will never get to have. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. *sigh* it's so hard. it really is so hard... but we have this new game, where we "fight" (she is "marvel" and I'm spiderman although she doesn't understand that marvel is the entire brand and refuses to change her character)... and i get to wrap her around a blanket, blind her, and hit her with pillows. I just have to pretend to get shot every once in a while, but i least i can give her a good whipping like furrealz, hahahaha!

    try it with evan, it's hilarious. =P

    ReplyDelete
  4. well... another way to look at it is i never got to spoil my first because i was young and didn't really have alot of money so i let everyone else do the spoiling. hopefully with the second, i won't be so stingy. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ps. HAHAHAHAHA aww man i can just imagine you with chocolate vomit on you and driving and going absolutely nuts. and the whole screaming for daddy thing? that would drive me INSANE. =P you should've called. hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's like my daughter and Detong's making me feel like bad mom for not waiting..after I've already waited for almost 2 hours.. Geez and I thought I'm alone:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. waiting for her to... finish her food? after 2 hours???

    even i wouldn't wait that long. i'd be like "fine, you starve. then you'll know what it's like." hahahaha! i think they call it negative reinforcement. or corporal punishment, hahaha!

    next time he makes you feel bad, ask him if he could do better. =P

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel ya!

    My Maya (who's turning 19 months old) is driving me crazier day by day. When we took her to her last check-up, the pedia said she's not gaining enough weight and of course, I FELT HORRIBLE. I felt like it was my fault because I'm the one who takes care of her 24/7. But I feed her 5 times a day. Even when it drives me nuts spending an hour with her just so she would eat right (and of course she does not realize it yet how much patience that takes) I try my best to be a "good" mom. But what exactly does being a good mom mean? (And not to mention her being all over the place all the time, and all the other crazy stuff that happens at home).

    But I guess all the hard-work and patience pays off for every amazing thing that they learn to do, whether it's big or small. And the first born child will always be the most special. The day they arrived blessed us the opportunity to be parents. It is definitely the best job in the world. (:

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahahahahaha it's funny how we complain and realize how hard it is...

    but at the end of the day, you know you wouldn't wish for anything else. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ben will totally babysit next time. hahahaha! =)

    ReplyDelete