Friday, January 27, 2012

"I will hate you till the day I die."

A comment in conversation, a bad-tempered grunt over breakfast, disappears into thin air; five foul-tempered sentences responding to a blog stay there indefinitely.

Why you shouldn't be so quick with a comeback in this day and age.

The internet may have freed us from the bonds of snail mail and wires and just the overall slowness and inefficiency of communication circa pre-digital age but even freedom of speech/expression shouldn't be used so "freely."

Silence, magnanimous civility, and getting their name slightly wrong is best.  <----- This is something I've learned to do as I've gotten older. And though it may not be as interesting of a reaction as my more explosive ones back when I was angst-ridden, melodramatic, and incredibly defensive, frankly, it's also not as draining. And more elegant really.

I almost have to bite back a giggle whenever I find myself being so artfully civil to someone I don't like. (My mature, all-grown-up-I'm-totally-impervious-to-your-annoying-existence outside may say "Hi hello how do you do?" but inside my childish pretty little head, I'm screaming "I WIN! I WIN! nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah!!!")


No comments:

Post a Comment