Thursday, January 12, 2012

GOOFY at 23

I strode into Building B of the Corp. Office of SM Mall of Asia in my Superstars, a tanktop, a pink cloth headband, and a big, bright orange Nike laptop bag ready to interview the man who brought IMAX, the all-out 3D experience to the Philippines. At first, the security guards thought I was a bit underdressed for my supposed job interview. But when they finally realized that I was there to conduct the interview, I was finally able to meet Mr. Camaligan, the 3D man himself. He struck me as rather down-to-earth and incredibly accommodating (who actually complimented my manner of dress). For a businessman, he didn’t seem too intimidating and I immediately felt at ease in his presence. And though he did revolutionize the way cinema is now being shown, it was evident that it was purely for the love of the service and providing Filipinos with a form of entertainment that would bring us all back to three-dimensional life.

- Sept. 23, 2006 (one of the first interviews I'd done for Gadgets Magazine as an editorial asst.)


I can still remember that interview.

I remember being excited to be "out in the field"...

I remember being happy to be newly single...

I remember getting to watch a 3D movie at IMAX for the first time for free...

I remember the cab driver nice enough to give me his number so he could pick me up afterwards, knowing I lived all the way in the North and barely knew how to commute in Manila then...

I remember the group of young college guys I met by the row of bars along MOA kind enough to invite me to share a few drinks with them (as I waited for my cab)...

I remember one of them giving me the silver crescent moon ring he'd given his ex and returned after she'd broken up with him (ergo their drinking session) as a sign of friendship, even though I'd never see any of them again...

God, I even remember that insanely bold orange laptop bag I lugged around like some techie-backpacker weirdo... and that pink knit headband... and even my Goofy (as in the Disney character) Adidas Superstars (available only in kiddie sizes)...

Now what I don't remember is... when I stopped being so enthusiastic to just go out there, meet new people, and dress like a nerdy provincial kid ready to take on the big, bad city... in her Adidas.

She obviously still had a lot of UPLB in her.

I kinda miss her. She was pretty cool.


.....


Note to self: Must remember where I put my Goofy Adidas.

2 comments:

  1. i wish there's a "Like" button in Multiply because I really like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha you can take the girl out of LB but you can't take LB out of the girl. =P

    I may have traded my adidas in for 5-inch pumps... but I'm still a massive dork... and a really heavy drinker. Hahahaha! Thanks to my brods, of course. =P

    ReplyDelete