Thursday, February 9, 2012

Fathers be good to your daughters...

Ever since we took Psyche to watch REAL STEEL, she's been obsessing over Dakota Goyo - the little boy who plays "Max" and Hugh Jackman's character "Charlie's" son. So last weekend, I bought her her own copy of the movie to watch over and over again.

Naturally, Psyche went BANANAS.

(Sorry Justin Bieber, but you're old news.)

Now I wouldn't have minded the screaming and the wailing and the crazy "I love yous" and "His face is soooo soft!" raves as the movie played in our living room... but what did catch me off guard was when she said:

Psyche: Mommy? My baby doesn't have a daddy. (Referring to the baby doll I got her for Christmas that she carries around EVERYWHERE)
Me: Aww that's ok babe (as I prepared my dinner). Just watch ok. Don't be so loud.

(a few minutes later)

Me: So you like the movie?
Psyche: Yes! He's my love!
Me: Uhm ok but he can be your friend...
Psyche: No... I want him to be my baby's daddy!!!!!

*cue weird anime teardrop on the side of my forehead*

Me: Huwaaaaaaaat did you say????
Psyche: I WANT HIM TO BE MY BABY'S DADDY!!!!

....................

On a side note:

Pao decided to ask Psyche why she loved him. I guess he was hoping to get something really sweet and endearing from her before she had to leave for Dubai for two weeks.

So he asks: Psyche, why do you love me?
Psyche: Because I love you.
Pao: Yeah but why do you love me?
Psyche: Because... you're handsome.
Pao: That's all??!!!
Psyche: Because... you love mommy. You kiss her. You hug her.
Pao: Yes I love her but why do you love me???? (I think he was feeling a bit hurt at this point)
Psyche: Because you, me, and mommy... we're a family.

He didn't know it... but she was totally schooling him.

Of course, I don't think this was what he wanted to hear. But alas, that is the trade-off of being a wonderful provider - more money... just not as much time to hang out.

Now I don't know if my husband sincerely felt bad at not having heard something like "I love you because you play with me and you take care of me" or the other things she'd normally tell me... But if you really think about it, "The best thing a man can do for his children is to love their mother."

Such a father also provides a role model for his daughters. Here the impressionable young woman can witness in the comfort of their own home all that they should expect from the men in their lives. They also learn by definition what they should not have to put up with. Having a father who loves your mother makes you more likely to go on to choose a man who will truly love you.

Because of him, she'll know to look for someone just like him (hopefully before she starts dating all the assholes out there like I did, haha). And I know that when she grows up, everything she learned from him will be worth more than our mother-daughter arguments on who she can and cannot date. Seriously. I may be her best friend now... but I totally foresee us butting heads when she gets older... and smarter.

But hopefully, that Dakota Goyo kid doesn't grow up to be an asshole. =P

2 comments:

  1. Aaaaaaw. :) hahaha just before i read this Ben put Real Steel on for Psyche. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did she go insane? =P

    Then go watch "We bought a zoo"... she likes the boy in that movie too. (she a little slizzle =)

    ReplyDelete