Thursday, March 18, 2010

Align the Chakra, kids.

"In desperate love, it's always like this, isn't it? In desperate love, we always invent the characters of our partners, demanding that they be what we need of them, and then feeling devastated when they refuse to perform the role we created in the first place." --- taken from Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


Ain't that the truth. *extends high-five to nearest girl-friend*


So I hear alot of couples have been breaking up recently. Couples that have been together for years... and I mean, yeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaarrrrrrrsssssss.


How does that happen?


How do you just... fall out of love? (Ok, I'm not stupid, I actually KNOW how this happens and I don't really need an explanation because chances are, I know the reasons better than those who have actually been in a relationship for years and years and years. Hell, I must've mastered the art of falling out of love... just as I've mastered falling right back in it.)


It's a sad rhetorical. But plainly, it's just sad. And discouraging.


***Our editorial asst. Danee (who actually read the book and shared some of its content with me when I was still single) just mentioned that some of the comments she was reading regarding the book were terrible, particularly, the one who called the author (as this was based on her life) "selfish for leaving her husband to just have fun and to find herself."


Now for those who don't get it... Here is the trailer. (Yes, there is an upcoming film adaptation of the book starring no less than Julia Roberts herself.)




...

...

...


Finding oneself is NOT selfish. Because seriously, you can't know anyone until you know yourself. Ergo, you can't possibly know you love someone if you don't know what love is. And more often than not, you know love by how you love yourself. You learn it by living it.


(Whoa, I think I just went to the bottom of the ocean with that one, haha!)


But Hell, what do I know right? *winks*


I think after you've found yourself at the bottom of a bottle or on some stranger's bed or on yours without any recollection of how you got there looking as wretched as you do... that's when you realize that maybe, those aren't exactly the nicest places to "find" yourself in. Or to see yourself being in. And in the same rite, if you find yourself in the arms of someone who no longer makes you happy or in a house that is no longer a home or in a partnership that seems more one-sided than two... or if you find yourself just going through the motions --- complacent, stagnant, and "passively bored" (as described in Kundera's Identity) then...


*sigh*


But it's never too late to start from somewhere.

Anywhere. and Anytime. (G.G. Marquez's Love In The Time of Cholera comes to mind =)


....


I'm still trying to come out with a formula to stay IN LOVE. Let me get back to y'all once I've passed the three-year mark, still energized and rejuvenated and not gasping for air. Perhaps in this lifetime and with this love, there won't be a need for "second winds"...


I'll try to make it in just one.

12 comments:

  1. I like this Blog Michelle. You're a very smart girl. A formula to stay in love? If we had that, I think it would make being in love that bit less special. This has got me thinking now... Is true love a formula? Like x & y? Like two people who are so perfectly matched dthat they stay together happy for thier entire life? If that is the case... then there is no point in working at it right? You just have to trust it. or as Paul Mcartny once said "let it be".

    I think that part about knowing yourself is totally true. Then again some people find themselves when they are with someone who helps and promotes them to do it. That's where you get people saying "oh. he's so good for her" and stuff like that.

    Is she selfish for leaving her husband? nahh... shit happens. Besides from the trailer, it looks like she had a really bad track record, so he should have seen it coming!

    I could go on for ages, but I haven't got anyone to bounce off here... i need some objections.. a good conversation could ensue.

    :D Nice blog Missy, keep it up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess what i meant with "formula" was what you "needed to do" in order to stay in [love], operative word is "do" denoting that there has to be action, effort --- constant, unwavering. I mean, you can reduce it to x's and y's but at the end of it, you'd still have to solve the frikkin' equation... and maybe "staying in love" is one of life's longest equations.

    did that just make sense? =P

    ok, maybe i should've just said "ingredients" rather than "formula" --- but i'm a marxist so everything to me is seen using his conflict theory and i see everything as something worth "solving." hahahaha!

    and i get you on the having someone to help you find yourself. of course, we are social beings and heavily influenced by those around us. but i suppose if the primary socialization is well-founded (meaning, your personal core values) then i guess you should already know what you want for yourself and from yourself.

    ok, now i seriously don't know if that made sense although it makes sense in my head. =P


    looks like you and i have alot of drunken intellectual talking to do in boracay... ok and maybe jollibee. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) defo.

    gonna be a romanticist here and not an academic... "everything as something worth solving". Do you not think that some things can never be solved by what limited brain capacity and life span we have? perhaps we could use our hearts.

    A bit of a contradiction there, because ultimately one uses their brain. But again, if you just leave it to you subconcious? Or how many say, follow your heart, let it be... yada yada yada.

    I think we can agree on one thing here though... knowing ones self is key.

    If I relate this to my scenario with Mika. I know myself.... it took me a while to get here, but before I met her, I was concentraiting on finding myself; and I think I was pretty much there. Then what happens? I meet your Sister (might I add the circumstances of us meeting were based on very bad odds). So what happened? Did i solve my equation without realizing it? Was I following a plan to meet Miss right? Or was I saying screw it all.... Relax, be yourself and let the rest follow.

    Michelle I am a musical person and I will leave you with a line from a song by an old (but well respected!) band called The Eagles. I know you dig this shit, because half your blogs start with a poem, song lyric or youtube music video.

    'I get this feeling I may know you as a lover and a friend,
    and this voice keeps whispering in my other ear,
    tells me I may never see you again.
    But I get a peacefull easy feeling and I know you won't let me down,
    Because I'm already standing on the ground."

    Cheesy country song.. but my favourite song ever.

    Digg the hairstyles!

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44_rtJxPg0s

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is why i said it is probably one of life's longest equations... if not the longest. and not easily solved... =)

    i think it's one of those things you solve on your deathbed... when you're content with the life that you've lived... with a full and happy heart.

    ergo...

    when you follow your heart... that usually means to follow a whim or follow an impulse --- a not-carefully thought out impulse... which could prove very advantageous in alot of cases (and yes, very romantic). i think there's beauty and relief in not overanalyzing and kinda seeing where something takes you and just figuring things out along the way...

    but definitely...

    you have to know yourself. because foresight oftentimes doesn't have the 20/20 vision that hindsight does.

    and yes, that song IS CHEESY. hahahahaha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm.. yees. I have nothing more to say except I concurr.. I quite quite concurr.

    ReplyDelete
  6. While we're on the subject of cheesy but oh-so-true "It's okay to find yourself, I still love you, go on" songs, has anyone here listened to Jason Mraz's You & I Both? =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. me! meeeeeee!!!!

    back in college. =) ahhh... the memories. =P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hahahahahaha! I totally get this. Ahhhh dot dot dot the memories smiley face for me too!!! Hahahaha! (Yuck, I believe kinikilig ako!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. bwahahahahahaha!!!

    yun oh. kiligin daw ba. hahaha!

    (i'm almost finally out of words... =)

    ReplyDelete